Our History

WHO WE ARE- HISTORYThe Addicts Rehabilitation Center “ARC” is the oldest and one of the largest drug treatment facilities in New York State.ARC began in 1957 on the second floor of the Manhattan Christian Reform Church, now known as Christian Parish for Spiritual Reform church, located at 201 W 122nd Street, New York, NY. We have grown from a church-based and a church-funded day program, to a state-licensed and state-funded, 400-bed drug-free rehabilitation complex. ARC is operated as a therapeutic milieu, structured to provide a nurturing, drug free environment to adult male and female substance abusers. Love, inspiration, education, and incentives comprise the foundation for the formulation of the “Blue Print For Success” which is clients individualized treatment plan. While this is the chief cornerstone, major emphasis is also placed on identifying and addressing each client’s strengths, weaknesses, and needs. As part of its drug prevention and its community education and fundraising efforts, the center formed an a capella Gospel Choir. The ARC Choir, comprised of approximately thirty-five current and/or former substance abusers that received help from the center, performs nearly two hundred engagements per year. Singing primarily in the greater New York area, the choir has traveled extensively around the world, performing at schools, hospitals, churches, jails and civic and social affairs – even featured on a song with rapper Kanye West, “Jesus Walks!” The ARC choir has definitely helped to shape our history and remains an icon of the organization. ARC announced the stepping down of Mr. James Allen as Executive Director after over 50 years of commitment and sincere servitude with the organization and the NYC community as of January 1, 2014. ARC is now firmly in hands of Reverend “Reggie” Williams – its new President and CEO. Mr. Allen has provided a lasting example through his steadfast commitment and service to humanity. He leaves us with a rich heritage in which we are all very proud and know will only continue and be strengthened by our new leader, Rev. Reginald Williams.
HOME PAGE-2

1881 Park Avenue

1881 Park Avenue is the first building ARC owned and could call its home. ARC exercised purchasing options for the 60,000 square foot, five story piano warehouse building in 1965. When the move was made from its old address on W 122 nd Street to its new home, not only did the clients who relied on ARC make the move, but they also made the rhythm, beat and voices that were such a large part of the 122nd Street facility.
HOME PAGE-1

The Richard E. Fiemster Memorial Building

This building is located at 2015 Madison Avenue and houses 196 men and women. The Fiemster building was designed to provide services to its clients in an efficient and timely manner. The kitchen and dining room area, along with its laundry facilities are aligned for serving a large number of people. This was the first building that ARC controlled its own architecture and design.